Medicinal cannabis prescribed by a doctor in Australia is legal. Cannabis ordered online or without a prescription is illegal.
Accessing illegal medicinal cannabis carries a number of risks. Products may:
- not arrive, and buyers are at risk of being scammed
- contain too little or too much THC or CBD which can be either harmful or ineffective
- be contaminated and contain undisclosed or dangerous ingredients
- have expired or be past their use-by date.
Medicinal cannabis products accessed legally in Australia:
- are regulated to ensure Australian quality and safety standards
- must contain known quantities of the cannabinoids THC and CBD
- are prescribed by a doctor who is responsible for monitoring the patient’s progress.
- must not contain any moulds, fungi, bacteria, pesticides, heavy metals or other potentially harmful substances